The parish is on a mid-height escarpment of the outer
Chiltern Hills and has an irregular shape generally bounded by headwaters. It includes a southern thin projection skirting
Ashendon. Two streams rise just outside the area and flow into the south-centre from west and east and then flow north. Its relatively small area and low population itself was reduced by an enclosure act - see Wotton House. In 1821 its population reached 344 residents, which has not been exceeded since.
 Otherwise bereft of woods and lakes, the west part has two lakes and the Warrens, an area of woodland laid out by Wooton House. The number of houses fell from 73 in 1951 to 42 ten years later.