The garden of the Rotonda Padua | about the aqueduct
According to the increasing need of water during the time period up to Second World War, water had been taken from the water-layer of the town of Dueville.
After the war, this system was not efficient enough anymore, and the lack of water became a serious problem. Consequently, studies and projects to sort out this matter became more intensive, and from the year 1955 the Town Hall Council of Padua decreed to devise the construction of the “New Aqueduct”.
The most important action was building a second water-supplier called the “900 metres Conveyance”; whose construction was ended in 1961.
In the meantime, in order to cope with water emergency situations an auxiliary aqueduct was also built; it consisted in a system for purifying the superficial water of the river Brentella, which partially overcame the shortage of water complained by the citizens. Afterwards relevant actions were taken in order to improve the efficiency and the functionality of the whole water system in Padua. Among the many actions taken, we can mention the following most important ones:
Padua aqueduct contributed to solve the problems related to water supply of some smaller distribution authorities. The following are the most significant data concerning the aqueduct management: