|Part of |
The remains of the Zelve monastery complex are located on the northern slopes of
The valley was a monastic retreat between the 9th and 13th centuries. Christians moved to Zelve during the Persian and Arab invasions.[
Cappadocia's first seminaries to train priests are located here at the monastery. Dating back to the early years of monastery life in Zelve is the Direkli Church (with the famed columns). Direkli is located at the bottom of the slope. The main decorations are
The area was inhabited until 1952, when the last inhabitants moved to the new town Yeni Zelve ("New Zelve"), 2 km away. In 1967, Zelve was turned into an open-air museum.
The area also contains houses, a tunnel joining two of the valleys, a mill (without sails), and a small mosque. Several