This article needs additional citations for
|• Lord Mayor||Gnrangbe Kouakou Kouadio Jean|
|• Total||3,500 km2 (1,350 sq mi)|
|Population (2014 census)|
|• Total||355,573 (district); 281,735 (city)|
Prior to 2011, what is now the district of Yamoussoukro was part of
In the 2014 census, the autonomous district had a population of 355,573. The city of Yamoussoukro (as opposed to the district) had 281,071 inhabitants, making it the fifth-most populous
The current governor of the district is
Yamoussoukro is usually pronounced "Yam-So-Kro" by Ivorians.
Stone tools found in the country from hundreds of thousands of years ago show that the area around Yamoussoukro has been occupied since ancient times. Due to the desertification of the
Yamoussou, the niece of
Kouass N'Go, ran the city of N'Gokro in 1929 at the time of
Diplomatic and commercial relations were then established, but in 1909, on the orders of the Chief of
Djamlabo, the Akoué revolted against the administration. Bonzi station, 7 kilometres (4.3 mi) from Yamoussoukro on the
As the situation got worse, Maurice, judging that Bonzi had become safe, decided to transfer the French military station to Yamoussoukro, where the French Administration built a pyramid to the memory of Kouassi N'Go, Chief of the Akoué, who was assassinated in 1910 by Akoué rebels, accusing him of being too close to the French. In homage to queen Yamousso, N'Gokro was renamed Yamoussoukro.
In 1919, the civil station of Yamoussoukro was removed.
After 1964, the President
In March 1983, President Houphouët-Boigny made Yamoussoukro the political and administrative capital of