What is an orphan?
There are several factors that can classify an article or other page as an orphan:
- Orphaned article: An article with no incoming links which meet the criteria for linking below
- Isolated article: An article that cannot be reached via a series of links from the Main Page
- Walled garden: A group of articles that link to each other, but have few or no links to them from other Wikipedia articles. In effect the entire group is orphaned. Theoretically, a walled garden could have numerous articles if they all link to each other but no others link to them.
- Orphaned project page: A project page (starting with "Wikipedia:") with few or no links from other project pages. Essays are the most likely to be orphaned.
- Orphaned image: An image not used in any article