Wiggiswil is first mentioned in 1219 as Wigersvile.
The oldest trace of a settlement in the area comes from scattered prehistoric flint tools which were found around the Moossee. Roman era artifacts have been discovered in Wiggiswil village and at Seerain.
Throughout its history Wiggiswil has always been dependent on the neighboring village of Deisswil bei Münchenbuchsee. Even in the 21st century, the two small municipalities share a single town council. It is part of the parish of Münchenbuchsee.
In 1973 the A6 motorway was built through the municipality. The motorway connects Wiggiswil to the cities of Bern and Biel/Bienne, however, the village has remained mostly agricultural. The village is home to the famous Moospinte hotel and restaurant which is over 150 years old. During World War II, Swiss commanding general Henri Guisan sometimes used the Moospinte for secret meetings with government officials. The current restaurant is still very well regarded and the Gault Millau guide gives it a 16 out of 20 rating.