Valencia de Alcántara

Valencia de Alcántara
Valencia d’Alcántara
Municipality
Town Hall
Town Hall
Flag of Valencia de Alcántara
Flag
Coat of arms of Valencia de Alcántara
Coat of arms
Valencia de Alcántara is located in Extremadura
Valencia de Alcántara
Valencia de Alcántara
Location in Extremadura
Valencia de Alcántara is located in Spain
Valencia de Alcántara
Valencia de Alcántara
Valencia de Alcántara (Spain)
Coordinates: 39°24′48″N 7°14′37″W / 39°24′48″N 7°14′37″W / 39.41333; -7.24361
Country Spain
Autonomous Community Extremadura
ProvinceCáceres
ComarcaValencia de Alcántara
Government
 • MayorAlberto Piris Guapo (PSOE)
Area
 • Total595 km2 (230 sq mi)
Elevation(AMSL)620 m (2,030 ft)
Population (2012)
 • Total6,032
 • Density10/km2 (26/sq mi)
Time zoneCET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST)CEST (GMT +2) (UTC+2)
Postal code10500
Area code(s)+34 (Spain) + 927 (Cáceres)
Websitewww.valenciadealcantara.es

Valencia de Alcántara (Extremaduran: Valencia d’Alcántara) (Population: 6178) is a municipality located in the province of Cáceres, in the autonomous community of Extremadura, Spain. It is near the Portuguese border (District of Portalegre), separated from it by the Sever.[1]

History

From the 16th century to the 18th Valencia was a celebrated border fortress; it was captured by the Portuguese in 1664 and 1698.[2]

Battle of 1762

The Battle of Valencia de Alcántara took place in 1762 as part of the Spanish invasion of Portugal. Portuguese-British troops under John Burgoyne attacked and captured the town, which was a Spanish supply base, setting back the invasion and contributing to the British victory that year.

Nineteenth century

The beginning of the nineteenth century, traditionally associated with the beginnings of the modern age, is particularly troublesome in the case of Valencia de Alcántara as it was caught up in two important conflicts, including the fleeting conflict known as the War of the Oranges (1801) or the War of Independence. However, due to its location it became is the second most important custom house for direct traffic between the two kingdoms, after Badajoz, and had a flourishing trade in farm produce of all kinds.[2]

Other Languages