University of Texas Medical Branch
|Motto||Disciplina praesidium civitatis (|
Motto in English
|Cultivated mind is the guardian genius of democracy.|
|Students||3,169 (2,826 full-time equivalent) (Fall 2015)|
|Red, white, and gray|
The University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) is a component of the
Established in 1891 as the University of Texas Medical Department, UTMB has grown from one building, 23 students and 13 faculty members to more than 70 buildings, more than 2,500 students and more than 1,000 faculty. It has four schools, three institutes for advanced study, a comprehensive medical library, four on-site hospitals (including an affiliated
UTMB's primary missions are health sciences education, medical research (it is home to the
In fiscal year 2012, UTMB received 20 percent of its $1.5 billion budget from the State of Texas to help support its teaching mission, hospital operation and Level 1 Trauma Center; UTMB generates the rest of its budget through its research endeavors, clinical services and philanthropy. It provides a significant amount of charity care (almost $96 million in 2012), and treats complex cases such as transplants and burns.
In 2003 UTMB received funding to construct a $150 million
The location of the Medical Department of the
The original building, the
Upon opening, the Red Building had been starkly underfurnished, a problem which was not fully remedied until after the
In 1915 the medical branch built the first hospital dedicated to children in Texas. By 1924 UTMB had established the first department of pediatrics in the state of Texas – which was also one of the first departments of pediatrics in the United States.
UTMB’s annual budget of approximately $1.4 billion includes grants, awards, and contracts from federal and private sources totaling more than $150 million, in addition to institutional allocations for research.[
Dr. Danny O. Jacobs, a former Department Chair at Duke University, has been named executive vice president, provost and dean of the School of Medicine at the University of Texas Medical Branch, effective Oct. 1 2012.