University of Nottingham
Motto in English
|A city is built on wisdom|
|Established||1798 - teacher training college|
1881 - University College Nottingham
1948 - university status
|Students||32,515 domestic (2016/17)|
|24,065 domestic (2016/17)|
|8,450 domestic (2016/17)|
|University: blue and white |
Sports: green and gold
Nottingham's main campus (
Nottingham was ranked #11 overall in the UK by the 2019 QS Graduate Employability Rankings. The QS Graduate Employability Rankings measure how successful students are at securing a top job after graduation from university. In addition, the 2017 High Fliers survey stated Nottingham was the seventh most targeted university by the UK's top employers between 2016-17. In 2010, Nottingham was ranked 13th in the world in terms of the number of alumni listed among CEOs of the
The university is a member of the
The University of Nottingham traces its origins to the founding of an
In 1875, an anonymous donor provided £10,000 to establish the work of the Adult Education School and Cambridge Extension Lectures on a permanent basis, and the Corporation of Nottingham agreed to erect and maintain a building for this purpose and to provide funds to supply the instruction.
The foundation stone of the college was duly laid in 1877 by the former Prime Minister
The university college underwent significant expansion in the 1920s, when it moved from the centre of Nottingham to a large campus on the city's outskirts. The new campus, called University Park, was completed in 1928, and financed by an endowment fund, public contributions, and the generosity of
In Nottingham, that dismal town where I went to school and college,
they've built a new university for a new dispensation of knowledge.
Built it most grand and cakeily out of the noble loot
derived from shrewd cash-chemistry by good Sir Jesse Boot.
University College Nottingham was initially accommodated within the
Apart from its physical transfer to surroundings that could not be more different from its original home, the College made few developments between the wars. The Department of Slavonic Languages (later Slavonic Studies) was established in 1933, the teaching of Russian having been introduced in 1916. In 1933–34, the Departments of Electrical Engineering, Zoology and Geography, which had been combined with other subjects, were made independent; and in 1938 a supplemental Charter provided for a much wider representation on the Governing Body. However, further advances were delayed by the outbreak of war in 1939.
University College Nottingham students received their degrees from the University of London. However, in 1948, the University was granted its
In the 1940s, the Midlands Agricultural and Dairy College at
In 1999, Jubilee Campus was opened on the former site of the
The university has used several logos throughout its history, beginning with its coat of arms. Later, Nottingham adopted a simpler logo, in which a stylised version of