University of Maine
Motto in English
|$293 million (2017)|
|Students||11,240 (Fall 2017) |
|9,279 (Fall 2017) |
|1,961 (Fall 2017) |
|Dark blue, Light blue, and White|
|Mascot||Black Bear (Bananas the Bear)|
University of Maine Historic District
|Location||Munson, Sebec, and Schoodic Rds., |
|Area||660 acres (267.1 ha) (entire campus)|
13 acres (5.3 ha) (original historic district)
57 acres (23 ha) (increased historic district)
|Architectural style||Late 19th And 20th Century Revivals, Late Victorian, Other, Greek Revival|
|NRHP reference #||78000194 (original)|
|Added to NRHP||July 12, 1978|
|Boundary increase||April 27, 2010|
The University of Maine (UMaine or Maine) is a public research university in
With an enrollment of approximately 11,000 students, UMaine is the state's largest university and the only institution in Maine classified as a
The University of Maine was founded in 1862 as a function of the
By 1871, curricula had been organized in Agriculture, Engineering, and electives. The Maine Agricultural and Forest Experiment Station was founded as a division of the university in 1887. Gradually the university developed the Colleges of Life Sciences and Agriculture (later to include the School of Forest Resources and the School of Human Development), Engineering and Science, and Arts and Sciences. In 1912 the Maine Cooperative Extension, which offers field educational programs for both adults and youths, was initiated. The School of Education was established in 1930 and received college status in 1958. The School of Business Administration was formed in 1958 and was granted college status in 1965. Women have been admitted into all curricula since 1872. The first master's degree was conferred in 1881; the first doctor's degree in 1960. Since 1923 there has been a separate graduate school.
Near the end of the 19th century, the university expanded its curriculum to place greater emphasis on
On April 16, 1925, 80 women met in Balentine Hall — faculty, alumnae, and undergraduate representatives — to plan a pledging of members to an inaugural honorary organization. This organization was called "The All Maine Women" because only those women closely connected with the University of Maine were elected as members. On April 22, 1925, the new members were inducted into the honor society.
When the University of Maine System was incorporated, in 1968, the school was renamed by the legislature over the objections of the faculty to the University of Maine at Orono. This was changed back to the University of Maine in 1986.