USS Ticonderoga (CV-14)

USS Ticonderoga
USS Ticonderoga refueling off the coast of Vietnam
History
United States
Name:Ticonderoga
Namesake:Battle of Ticonderoga (1775)
Builder:Newport News Shipbuilding
Laid down:1 February 1943
Launched:7 February 1944
Commissioned:8 May 1944
Decommissioned:9 January 1947
Recommissioned:1 October 1954
Decommissioned:1 September 1973
Renamed:Hancock to Ticonderoga 1 May 1943
Reclassified:
  • CV to CVA-14 on 1 October 1952
  • CVA to CVS-14 on 21 October 1969
Struck:16 November 1973
Fate:Sold for scrap 15 August 1974
General characteristics
Class and type:Essex-class aircraft carrier
Displacement:
  • As built:
  • 27,100 tons standard
Length:
  • As built:
  • 888 feet (271 m) overall
Beam:
  • As built:
  • 93 feet (28 m) waterline
Draft:
  • As built:
  • 28 feet 7 inches (8.71 m) light
Propulsion:
  • As designed:
  • 8 × boilers
  • 4 × Westinghouse geared steam turbines
  • 4 × shafts
  • 150,000 shp (110 MW)
Speed:33 knots (61 km/h; 38 mph)
Complement:3448 officers and enlisted
Armament:
Armor:
  • As built:
  • 4 inch (100 mm) belt
  • 2.5 inch (60 mm) hangar deck
  • 1.5 inch (40 mm) protectice decks
  • 1.5 inch (40 mm) conning tower
Aircraft carried:
  • As built:
  • 90–100 aircraft

USS Ticonderoga (CV/CVA/CVS-14) was one of 24 Essex-class aircraft carriers built during World War II for the United States Navy. The ship was the fourth US Navy ship to bear the name, and was named after the capture of Fort Ticonderoga in the American Revolutionary War. Ticonderoga was commissioned in May 1944, and served in several campaigns in the Pacific Theater of Operations, earning five battle stars. Decommissioned shortly after the end of the war, she was modernized and recommissioned in the early 1950s as an attack carrier (CVA), and then eventually became an antisubmarine carrier (CVS). She was recommissioned too late to participate in the Korean War, but was very active in the Vietnam War, earning three Navy Unit Commendations, one Meritorious Unit Commendation, and 12 battle stars.

Ticonderoga differed somewhat from the earlier Essex-class ships in that she was 16 ft (4.9 m) longer to accommodate bow-mounted anti-aircraft guns. Most subsequent Essex-class carriers were completed to this "long-hull" design and were apparently referred to as the Ticonderoga class.[1] At the end of her career, after a number of modifications, she was said to be in the Hancock class according to the Naval vessel register.[2]

Ticonderoga was decommissioned in 1973 and sold for scrap in 1975.

Construction and commissioning

The ship was laid down as Hancock on 1 February 1943 at Newport News, Virginia, by the Newport News Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., renamed Ticonderoga on 1 May 1943, and launched on 7 February 1944, sponsored by Miss Stephanie Sarah Pell. She was commissioned at the Norfolk Navy Yard on 8 May 1944, Captain Dixie Kiefer in command.[3]