This article needs additional citations for
Teresina, Piauí, Brazil
|The Municipality of Teresina|
Capital do Sol e da Luz (Capital of Sun and Light), Cidade Verde (Green City) and THE.
Omnia in Charitate
Location of Teresina in the
|Founded||August 16, 1852|
| • ||Firmino Filho (|
|• Urban||1,755 km2 (677 sq mi)|
|Elevation||87 m (285 ft)|
|• Density||585.1/km2 (1,515/sq mi)|
| • ||953,172|
| • ||1,135,920|
Teresina is the
Teresina is the capital with the second best quality of life in the North-Northeast according to FIRJAN[
Teresina was founded on August 16, 1852 under the name of Vila Nova do Poty (because its origin is linked to the Poti river) as the capital of the state of Piauí. It was the first planned city in the Brazil and the only northeast capital located out of the coast. Until 1852, Oeiras was the capital of the Piauí Capitany, however due to difficulties in Communication and Trade, the capital was transferred to an area next to the Parnaíba River, to the other cities and to the sea coast. Colonization of the area where Teresina is now located dates back to the 18th century. The chosen place was a small community of fishermen, in 1760, nearby Poty and Panaíba rivers, which grew into a village called “Vila do Poty”, but, due to the inundation of the Parnaíba River riverbanks, the city had to be built in a higher position.
In the 19th century, it was initially called Vila Nova do Poty, but later the city was renamed Teresina, in honor of the Empress Teresa Cristina, the wife of the Emperor of Brazil,
Teresina is the hottest city in the country and the third city with the major incidence of lightning in the world. Nowadays, Teresina’s economy is based on international manufacturing industries and trade.