St Leonard's Tower, Newton Abbot

St Leonard's Tower
The Clock Tower
St Leonard's Tower, Newton Abbot - geograph.org.uk - 1629578.jpg
East face in 2009
LocationWolborough Steet, Newton Abbot
Coordinates50°31′46″N 3°36′45″W / 50°31′46″N 3°36′45″W / 50.5294; -3.6126
Built15th-century
Original useChurch tower
Architectural style(s)Gothic
OwnerNewton Abbot Town Council
Listed Building – Grade II*
Official name: St Leonards Tower
Designated16 July 1949
Reference no.1256725

St Leonard's Tower, Newton Abbot, popularly known as The Clock Tower, is a Grade II* listed building in Newton Abbot. It was constructed in the 15th-century as part of a Gothic-style church and was the site of William III's first proclamation in England (although he had not yet become king). The adjoining nave was demolished in 1836 to improve traffic flows but the tower was saved by a local petition. The structure is owned by the town council and opened to the public on selected days.

Description

St Leonard's Tower is approximately 60 feet (18 m) in height and built of Plymouth stone. It is formed of two stages (or storeys), demarked by moulded stone string courses on the outside faces. The lower stage has a door on the west face set within a granite arch, the door is wooden and dates to the 20th-century. Above the door is a large twin arched window. On the east face of the lower stage the roof line of the former nave can be discerned in the stonework; below this is a small trefoil-topped window. The upper stage has two arched windows in the centre of each face with a clock face below on the west and east faces. The parapet at the top of the structure is battlemented.[1]

Other Languages