St Andrew's Cross, Glasgow

St Andrew's Cross
  • Eglinton Toll
St Andrew's Cross is located in Glasgow council area
St Andrew's Cross
St Andrew's Cross
Location within Glasgow
Council area
Lieutenancy area
  • Glasgow
CountryScotland
Sovereign stateUnited Kingdom
PoliceScottish
FireScottish
AmbulanceScottish
EU ParliamentScotland
List of places
UK
Scotland
Glasgow
55°50′35.1″N 4°15′45.5″W / 55°50′35.1″N 4°15′45.5″W / 55.843083; -4.262639

St Andrew's Cross, also known as Eglinton Toll, is a road junction in the south side of the city of Glasgow, Scotland.

Description

The junction includes two roads running roughly north-south which meet, but do not intersect for vehicular traffic since a realignment in 1946:[1][2][3] the west thoroughfare (A77) is known as Eglinton Street from Laurieston (the Gorbals) until it reaches the junction then becomes Pollokshaws Road to Strathbungo and beyond, while the east thoroughfare is Pollokshaws Road from Laurieston until the same point then is renamed Victoria Road entering Govanhill. Maxwell Road also meets the junction from the west (Pollokshields) but this is also blocked off for vehicles. Addresses on each side of the cross come under three different postcodes (G5, G41 and G42), indicating its status as a locality which is not classed as falling fully within any single district of the city.[4]

Other Languages