St. Luke's Hospital
Saint Luke's 114th Street under construction
St. Luke's Hospital was founded by William Augustus Muhlenberg, pastor of the Episcopal Church of the Holy Communion. St. Luke's first opened in 1858 at 54th Street and Fifth Avenue.
In 1896 it moved to 114th Street. It is across the street, to the east, from Columbia University’s campus and to the South where it is flanked by the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine. The historic hospital building at Amsterdam Avenue and 114th Street was designed by prominent socialite architect Ernest Flagg. The chapel of that hospital has stained glass and is the work of the same architect.
Woman's Hospital was founded by doctor J. Marion Sims with financial backing from Sarah Platt Doremus, who ultimately became president of the Hospital. From South Carolina, Sims had developed a revolutionary approach to treating vesico-vaginal fistulas, a catastrophic complication from obstructed childbirth. The Hospital was first located in a rented house at Madison Avenue and 29th Street. Dr. Thomas Addis Emmet, who served at the hospital, published the first comprehensive textbook in English on gynecology.
In 1867 Woman's Hospital moved to a new location on Park Avenue, which is now the site of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel. This had been the burial ground for New York in the 1832 cholera outbreak. 47,000 coffins were dug up to make way for the new construction. In 1906 Woman's Hospital moved to 110th Street and Amsterdam. In 1953 it was merged with St. Luke's Hospital, forming St. Luke's Hospital Center. Finally, in 1965, it was moved to 114th Street and Amsterdam Avenue, just across the street from St. Luke's.
Roosevelt Hospital's first building in opening on November 2, 1871. A plaque to its namesake reads: "To the memory of James Henry Roosevelt, a true son of New York, the generous founder of this hospital, a man upright in his aims, simple in his life, and sublime in his benefaction." St. Lukes's and Roosevelt hospitals then merged prior to the renaming of the hospital under the Mount Sinai health system.
Mount Sinai West
Mount Sinai West is located on 10th Avenue and 59th Street, two blocks west of Columbus Circle. The current 13-story Skidmore, Owings & Merrill designed facility was built in 1990. The original hospital was on the same block but faced Ninth Avenue. Much of the original hospital, including the emergency room, was torn down to make way for two 49-story apartment buildings—One Columbus Place Tower I and II. The oldest remaining component of the hospital is the
William J. Syms Operating Theater that had a glass roof built in 1892. It was named for a gun merchant who donated money for it. Its last operation was in 1941 and is now a New York City Landmark. It is still free standing even as the tower surrounds it.
Sinai West Hospital in the forefront of Midtown West and Hell's Kitchen as seen from a rooftop on 59th St.
HIPAA medical records settlement
In 2017, Mount Sinai West entered into settlement concerning the improper disclosure of patient medical records which was settled as the payment of a levied fine of approximately half-a-million dollars as reported in the medical journal Becker Hospital Review stating: "New York City-based St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center (Mount Sinai West) will pay $387,200 and implement a corrective action plan as part of a HIPAA settlement to resolve allegations it inappropriately handled a patient's sensitive health information."
An ambulance of the St. Luke's–Roosevelt Hospital Center