Santa Cruz de la Zarza
|Santa Cruz de la Zarza|
|Founded||Early 12th century (before 1175) by the Knights of Santiago.|
| • ||Román Muñoz Sánchez (2007)|
|• Total||264.54 km2 (102.14 sq mi)|
|Elevation||790 m (2,590 ft)|
|• Density||19/km2 (48/sq mi)|
|santacrucero, ra / santacruceño, ña|
| • Summer (|
|925125 and 925143|
Santa Cruz de la Zarza is a village and
According to legend, having to happen one day the Gothic king Recaredo, for the street of the Cava that to the season was in those days a covered rill of undergrowth, the neighbors gave fire to the brambles and between the flames, some cross of wood appeared without damage, after this fact, the village started be call Santa Cruz entre Zarzas, evolving later to the name that today has. Other sources affirm that the origin of the name of Santa Cruz de la Zarza can come from its geographical situation placed between two valleys and between these two valleys there was a mountain of bramble patches.
In any case, it seems that the name alludes, on the one hand, to the Order of Santiago ("the Holy Cross"); the bramble corresponds to a form used during the repopulation era of the
A last hypothesis aims that the name "Zarza" can be related to the group of place names derived from the Latin quercus "