San Nicolò al Lido

Church of Saint Nicholas
(San Nicolò al Lido)
San Nicolò (Venice).jpg
San Nicolò al Lido
San Nicolò al Lido is located in Italy
San Nicolò al Lido
Shown within Italy
Basic information
LocationVenice, Italy
Geographic coordinates45°25′40″N 12°22′50″E / 45°25′40″N 12°22′50″E / 45.427862; 12.380603
AffiliationRoman Catholic
ProvinceVenice
StatusActive
Architectural typeChurch

San Nicolò al Lido is a church in Venice, northern Italy. It is located in the northern part of Venice's Lido, and houses the relics of Saint Nicholas, patron of sailors (shared with Bari). From this church, the traditional thanksgiving mass of the Sposalizio del Mare ("Marriage of the Sea") is celebrated. The complex houses monks of the Franciscan order.

Interior of San Nicolò al Lido.

History

The convent and the church dates to the origins of Venice in the early Middle Ages.

The monastery and the church, according to a legend,[1] was founded by the Zancaruol family. The site stood at a strategic point for the nascent Venetian power: at the main access to the sea.

From here, in 996 and 998, sailed off the first Venetian expeditions against the Narentine pirates. On 9 May 1000, the fleet led by Doge Pietro Orseolo II took off for the campaign that led to the submission of Dalmatia. This event is still remembered in the Marriage of the Sea ceremony. In this church, Doge Domenico Selvo was elected and crowned in 1071, since St Mark's Basilica was under reconstruction. In 1099, the Venetian participation in the First Crusade departed from this port, led by the Bishop of Olivolo and Giovanni, son of the doge Vitale Michiel I.

In 1100, the relics of the body of St. Nicholas were putatively stolen from Myra of Lycia, and interred in this church. However, a few years earlier, in 1089, the remains of the saint had been entombed in Bari by Pope Urban II in person.

Nicholas was proclaimed protector of the Venetian fleet. In 1202, the forces of the Fourth Crusade left from here. In 1245 Salinguerra II of Torelli was buried here; he was a Ghibelline nobleman who held the city of Ferrara for many years, and who disputed the primacy of Este family. In 1623 the relics of St. Nicholas were transferred from the church to the monastery to accommodate the construction of the new building, before being placed back below the altar.

The Bucintoro in front of San Nicolò del Lido, during the Marriage of the Sea (Guardi)