The city of Salamanca was founded on November 29, 1844, by the Acting Governor of Illapel
Joaquin Ceballos, By resolution of the Board of Hospitals Santiago, in the grounds of the Hacienda Choapa, at that time owned by the charity. The estate was owned by Matilde Salamanca, whose property by testamentary disposition became initially administered by the Church (1820) and then by decree of the Supreme Director Bernardo O'Higgins, Dated September 1, 1821, delivered to the public welfare. It was located on the north bank of the Choapa river, Next to an ancient Indian seat which formed part of the "Commit Choapa" And stood at the place now known as Chalinga. By 1897 Salamanca already had 2,000 inhabitants, while Chalinga
367 recorded documents that date, which is described as a small village whose plant comprises 48 blocks divided by straight streets "regular width." Church already had, Telegraph Office and Civil Registration and Municipality seat constituted with jurisdiction over subdivisions in Peralillo Cerro Chico and Salamanca.
Of the many farms that were part of the Choapa Making, some were parceled under the Homestead Act of 1928. however, in 1959 when the Agrarian Reform Corporation does not acquire the National Health Service (legal successor of the Public Welfare), the estates that formed the Hacienda Choapa, they still amounted to 253,000 has, Of which. Just over 8,000 acres were irrigated.
In the late sixties as a result of the CORA program, a program of concentration of rural population Choapa Valley holds
in villages that are located on both banks of the river of the same name, setting urban areas in 1982.