RV Calypso

"Calypso" - Montreal, 1980.jpg
The research vessel Calypso of Captain Cousteau arriving in Montreal on 30 August 1980.
History
United Kingdom
Class and type:
Name:HMS J-826
Builder:Ballard Marine Railway Company, Seattle, Washington, United States
Laid down:12 August 1941
Launched:21 March 1942
Commissioned:February 1943
Recommissioned:BYMS-2026 (1944)
Decommissioned:1946
Renamed:Calypso G (1949)
France
Owner:Thomas Guinness
Operator:Compagnie Océanographique Française, Nice
Renamed:Calypso (1950)
Reclassified:Research vessel
Refit:For Cousteau (1951)
Fate:Sunk and raised (1996)
Status:Being refurbished under the direction of the Cousteau Society
General characteristics [1]
Tonnage:294 GRT
Displacement:360 tons
Length:139 ft (42 m) (43 meters according to another source)[2]
Beam:25 ft (7.6 m)
Draft:10 ft (3.0 m)
Decks:Three
Installed power:2 × 580 hp (430 kW) 8-cylinder General Motors diesel engines
Propulsion:twin screw
Speed:10 knots (19 km/h; 12 mph)
Crew:27 in Captain's Quarters, Six Staterooms & Crew Quarters
Notes:
  • Photo & Science Labs
  • Underwater observation chamber
  • Helicopter landing pad
  • Yumbo 3-ton hydraulic crane
  • Minisub storage hold

RV Calypso is a former British Royal Navy minesweeper converted into a research vessel for the oceanographic researcher Jacques-Yves Cousteau, equipped with a mobile laboratory for underwater field research. It was severely damaged in 1996, and was planned to undergo a complete refurbishment in 2009-2011. The ship is named after the Greek mythological figure Calypso.

World War II British minesweeper (1941–1947)

Calypso was originally a minesweeper built by the Ballard Marine Railway Company of Seattle, Washington, United States for the United States Navy for loan to the British Royal Navy under lend-lease. A wooden-hulled vessel, she is built of Oregon pine.[3]

She was a BYMS (British Yard Minesweeper) Mark 1 Class Motor Minesweeper, laid down on 12 August 1941 with yard designation BYMS-26 and launched on 21 March 1942. She was commissioned into the Royal Navy in February 1943 as HMS J-826 and assigned to active service in the Mediterranean Sea, based in Malta, and was reclassified as BYMS-2026 in 1944. Following the end of World War II, she was decommissioned in July 1946 and laid up at Malta. On 1 August 1947 she was formally handed back to the US Navy and then struck from the US Naval Register, remaining in lay-up.[4]

Other Languages
العربية: آر في كاليبسو
беларуская: Каліпса (карабель)
čeština: RV Calypso
español: Calypso (barco)
français: Calypso (navire)
hrvatski: Calypso (brod)
italiano: Calypso (nave)
日本語: カリプソ号
português: Calypso (navio)
română: Calypso (navă)
Türkçe: Calypso (gemi)
українська: Каліпсо (судно)