Quainton (formerly Quainton Malet)
 is a village and
civil parish in
Aylesbury Vale district in
Buckinghamshire, England, 7 miles (11 km) north west of
Aylesbury. The population is 1290, of whom 1000 are adults. The village has two churches (Anglican and Baptist), a school and one
public house. The location means that while many commute to
London, others are employed in neighbouring towns and villages.
The remains of the
cross on the Village Green.
Its name is
Old English and means Queen's Estate (cwen tun). It is not known to which
queen this refers, but possibly the Queen was Edith, the wife of
Edward the Confessor. Known as "Fair Edith" she held
manors in this part of Buckinghamshire, including a hunting lodge at
Mentmore. Edward the Confessor had a palace at nearby
The former suffix Malet refers to the Malet family who were
lords of the manor from 1066 until about 1348. At least one member went on the
crusades, and had associations with the
Hospitallers, the organization credited with rebuilding Quainton church circa 1340. The Hospitallers erected the
cross on the
village green, the base and shaft of which still remain.
Quainton Village Green with
in the distance, one of the most visible buildings in the village.
The village green in the centre of the village has grouped around it some of the half-timbered thatched cottages for which the village is known.
The parish church is dedicated to
St Mary and the
Holy Cross. It is a 14th-century building of the style of
gothic architecture known as
Decorated. The west
tower was built later in the 15th century. The church contains many memorial
sculpture, including the 1689
tomb of Sir Richard Winwood carved by Thomas Stayner. The stone effigies depict the deceased lying in full
armour, while his widow, Ann, who paid for the tomb, rests beside him, half sitting regarding her husband. In the
chancel are a
William White who was responsible for the heavy
Victorian restoration and rebuilding of the chancel in 1877. The church also contains Victorian
stained glass windows.
Richard Brett, a former
rector of Quainton and one of the translators of the
King James Version of the Bible, is buried in the chancel.
Close by the church is the former
rectory, a large house described by
Pevsner as of vitreous red brick. The principal
facade has a three–bayed centre and two canted bays. The house contains 16th-century
The plaque on the
reads: :Anno Domini 1687 —- These Alms houses were - then erected endowed - by Richard Winwood Esq. - son, heir of the Rt. Honourable - Sir Ralph Winwood Knight - Principal Secretary of State - to King James I
The Winwood Almshouses, still inhabited, were built to house the poor, their gothic style of architecture belying the construction date of 1687. They are a
terrace of eight small
cottages, one storey high with a row of
dormers in the
attics. These attic windows have alternating small and large
gables. The terrace is decorated by two porches, with a plaque above. The almshouses are further adorned by diagonally placed chimney stacks.
One of the most visible buildings is the 70 ft high
Quainton Windmill, built in 1830–32. Derelict for the greater part of the 20th century it was restored in 1997 and can grind
The local headquarters for the
RSPCA are in the
parish, outside the village.
Quainton has a mix of old and new dwellings.