In 1862, date of its origin, the neighborhood of Prosperity was composed of a set of land
irrigated unproductive, crossed by numerous trails and dotted with tile factories, farm houses and some ventorros . 2 since it emerged in the periphery of Madrid , the neighborhood has grown in size and population steadily. In 1898 he joined the district of Buenavista and since 1955 is part of the district of Chamartin.
In the second half of the
nineteenth century Madrid was a city too large to enter the restricted perimeter, consisting of the old wall that
Philip IV Mandara build in 1625. For this reason, 19 July 1860 approving the
Draft widening of Madrid to increase the urban area of the capital, toppling the old fence. The new perimeter was delimited by a trench or pit that would lead to the "Rounds" and that today practically coincides with the Avenue of Queen Victoria, and the streets Raimundo Fernández Villaverde, Joaquín Costa, Francisco Silvela and Doctor Esquerdo .
Eixample and "Rounds" was a distant periphery of the city composed of the nearby villages and small towns that would be the seeds of future neighborhoods. These suburbs, grown spontaneously, without any planning irregular manner three were populated by the incessant immigration into the Peninsula who came to Madrid in search of work and a better future.
It can be stated, that prosperity was born on 14 December 1862 , 3 day were recorded in a notary 's office in Madrid the first two plots arranged for housing construction in the name of Pedro Prado and Gregorio Mayorga, bricklayer and carpenter respectively. The seller, Prospero Soynard, was an "owner" by profession, 4 rentier and investor, who had acquired five acres of agricultural land (about 1.75 ha) south of the road of
Hortaleza and was dividing their property into small plots to sell. Since 1862, successive subdivision and sale of the surrounding land by the owners was giving the fledgling village of a large number of houses.
The first houses that were built in the suburb were attending rural typologies that reproduced the style and lifestyle of its inhabitants. They were casualties of small size houses, brick and tile, with patio. Prosperity in 1882 gathered 166 buildings, more than half terreras houses, some houses broker or neighborhood playgrounds in poor health conditions. In 1872 there were 300 inhabitants; in 1900 over 2000; and in 1930, 13,800. 4
The administrative division of Madrid affected the area in the four changes made by the City Council . 4 From 1898 to 1955 Prosperity was part of the district of Buenavista, in that year to join the Chamartin district boundaries and reducing their size. In 1970 , a municipal decree reduced again ward boundaries. Finally, in 1987, a new decree creates the Garden City district and Prosperity is divided into two and renamed the area north of the street
Lopez de Hoyos "Garden City", keeping the name for the area south of axis. 4
From 1915 and more widely throughout the 1920s, once the process of urbanization and infrastructure improvement had reached an acceptable level, the housing stock increased markedly hand individual initiatives, providing new types that abounded in most soil densification and profitability promotions. Examples of colonies garden, benefiting from cheap housing laws, such as Colonia Primo de Rivera (1925–1930), Colonia Prosperidad (1926–1935), or Colonia Cruz del Rayo (1927–1930), inspired are also given in Garden City English and in the writings of Ebenezer Howard , with architectural typologies in which houses grouped in two blocks predominate, the townhouses in rows and isolated. Its architecture is based, generally, on regionalist and historicist conceptions. These initiatives should be added polygons public, private development first and then the postwar period, which endowed the neighborhood of social housing as in the case of the Colony "Virgen del Pilar" (1947). 4
From the forties of the twentieth century and until the late eighties, with a very high immigration and ongoing capital, Prosperity sees increase its population and residential park. Today much of the latter is made up promotions that period. However, during the decades of the sixties and seventies the renovation of the farmhouse is produced with the continued demolition of the oldest, before the buildings
civil war , which were still standing and their replacement by modern dwellings standardized winning height and intensifying land use in a physical renovation process that has produced the devastation of historical and architectural heritage of the neighborhood. 5