Norwich Guildhall is a historic listed building on Gaol Hill in the city of
The Guildhall was constructed to enable the greater self-governing powers conferred upon Norwich by the Charter of 1404 to be administered more efficiently. Prisoners first occupied the crypts of the building in 1412. Two timber and tile towers on the north and south sides of the building were destroyed when the roof of the Council Chamber collapsed in 1511. In 1534 a new Council Chamber was completed. As part of the works, the exterior wall of the eastern face of the new Chamber was faced with chequered flint work and freestone, and a central panel containing a fragment of the Arms of Henry VIII, flanked by the City Arms and the arms of the St George’s Company. Additions to the south side of the building were constructed in 1861 by Thomas Barry, the City Surveyor.
Civic affairs were conducted in the building until 1938, when the new City Hall was opened.
In June 2011, the Guildhalls Council Chamber and Sword Room was taken over by the site-specific theatre production, Monsters by Niklas Rådström, a play about the killing of