The remains of the bay platform in 2009.
The station was opened in 1882 by the Lynn and Fakenham Railway, and later became the southern terminus of the Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway (MG&N) line from Melton Constable. The station became well-used, with services to Cromer and through-carriages to a range of destinations including Peterborough and Leicester.
The station was badly bombed in the Baedeker raids of 1942  when the main building was largely destroyed. The station was further damaged, along with St Philips Church, when a badly damaged USAF B24 Liberator bomber was deliberately crashed there to avoid greater loss of life. Thereafter, the station operated from "temporary" buildings constructed on the site. It was closed to passengers on 2 March 1959 along with most of the Midland & Great Northern system, although the station remained in use for goods traffic until 1969.