Nervión, Seville

Nervión is a district of Seville, Spain. It lies to the east of the city centre (the Casco Antiguo), to the north of the Distrito Sur, to the south of San Pablo-Santa Justa and to the west of Cerro-Amate.

The district is an important commercial district of the city, where much of the regional capital's business takes place. The population is 16,129 inhabitants.[1]

History

Remains of the Roman aqueduct

Prior to 1911, most of Nervión was cultivated land with multiple cotton plantations. The land was owned by the Marques of Nervión, who donated it to the city. A few structures did exist in the zone, however, including a penitentiary, Sevilla 1, which still stands, albeit out of use and in the process of historical renovation. At the time, the Roman Aqueduct known as The Pipes of Carmona was still supplying fresh water to the city as it had for nearly two thousand years. The aqueduct was demolished to make space for development, beginning in 1912.[2] Three small sections of the aqueduct still stand along Calle Luis Montoto and Calle Cigüeña in Sevilla.[3]

Development of Nervión began in 1911, comprising what was then an outskirt of the city with plans centering on the Gran Plaza. The architect in charge of the planning and development was renowned Spanish architect Anibal Gonzalez, who designed many other famous structures in Seville and the rest of Andalusia.

In the 1920s and 1930s, many low-level villa-style houses surrounded by gardens were built in the area. Large high-rise apartment buildings were built in the 1960s. Since the 1980s and 1990s, construction has been mainly of hotels, shopping centres and office buildings.[4] It is presently a highly developed, modern suburb of Seville.

Other Languages