View of Mortágua valley
| • ||José Júlio Norte (|
|• Total||251.18 km2 (96.98 sq mi)|
|• Density||38/km2 (99/sq mi)|
Legend suggests that that village was formed on a lake; settlers recalled that Água Morta (dead water) existed here, but no physiological evidence remains of the body of water. But, the name overtime stayed and evolved, becoming the variant today of the local municipality.
About 1 kilometre (0.62 mi) from the main village is a hill, covered in vegetation, but whose lateral flank was occupied by a Moorish settlement known as Crasto. Over a cliff archeologists discovered several homes including a building that was defined as a kitchen, on its edge.
By 1895, several chapels were situated on this hilltop, which had become known as Cabeça da Senhora do Mundo (owing to the existence of an image to that invocation).