It is commonly referred to in Uruguayan media and diplomatic jargon as the
Palacio Santos, after the historical building which since 1955 has housed the ministry (originally the residence of President
Máximo Santos in the late 19th century). It is located in downtown
This building is one of the major historic structures in the
Uruguayan capital, and has been the subject of prominent documentary publicity.