In the United Kingdom and Ireland, a lecturer holds an open-ended, tenure-track or tenured position at a university or similar institution, and is often an academic at an early career stage who teaches, conducts research, and leads research groups. Most lecturers typically hold permanent contracts at their academic institution. In terms of responsibilities and recognition, the position of an open-ended lecturer on a permanent contract is equivalent to assistant professor or associate professor in the North American academic system. This is a tenure-track or tenured position, although UK tenure has eroded since 1988.

In other countries, the term lecturer generally denotes an academic expert without tenure in the university, who is hired to teach on a full- or part-time basis, but who is not paid to conduct research. In most research universities in the United States, the title of lecturer requires a doctorate or equivalent degree.


In Australia, the term lecturer may be used informally to refer to anyone who conducts lectures at a university or elsewhere, but formally refers to a specific academic rank. The academic ranks in Australia are similar to those in the UK, with the rank of associate professor roughly equivalent to reader in UK universities. The academic levels in Australia are (in ascending academic level): A) associate lecturer, (B) lecturer, (C) senior lecturer, (D) associate professor, and (E) professor. [1]

Other Languages
العربية: محاضر
Cymraeg: Darlithydd
Deutsch: Lecturer
Esperanto: Lektoro
한국어: 강사
Ido: Lektoro
Bahasa Indonesia: Dosen
עברית: מרצה
Basa Jawa: Dhosèn
lietuvių: Lektorius
Bahasa Melayu: Pensyarah
日本語: 講師 (教育)
polski: Wykładowca
português: Lecturer
suomi: Lehtori
اردو: لیکچرر
Tiếng Việt: Giảng viên
粵語: 講師