La Force Prison
Inner court of La Force in 1840
|Former name||Hôtel de la Force|
La Grande Force
La Petite Force
|Street address||Rue de Roi de Sicile|
La Force Prison was a
After passing through several hands, the buildings were acquired, in 1754, by the war ministry, and were transformed, in 1780, into a prison.  The Hôtel de la Force was renamed La Grande Force and was intended for debtors and those charged with civil offences. The prison consisted of several buildings, each of which had a separate yard. The most airy building was situated in the centre between two yards planted with trees. It was there that such prisoners were detained who could incur some expense. On the left was the infirmary.