In addressing the question of who invented the incandescent lamp, historians Robert Friedel and Paul Israel list 22 inventors of incandescent lamps prior to
Joseph Swan and
 They conclude that Edison's version was able to outstrip the others because of a combination of three factors: an effective
incandescent material, a higher
vacuum than others were able to achieve (by use of the
Sprengel pump) and a high
resistance that made power distribution from a centralized source economically viable.
Historian Thomas Hughes has attributed Edison's success to his development of an entire, integrated system of electric lighting.
The lamp was a small component in his system of electric lighting, and no more critical to its effective functioning than the Edison Jumbo
generator, the Edison main and feeder, and the parallel-distribution system. Other inventors with generators and incandescent lamps, and with comparable ingenuity and excellence, have long been forgotten because their creators did not preside over their introduction in a system of
— Thomas P. Hughes, In Technology at the Turning Point, edited by W. B. Pickett
|Timeline of the early evolution of the light bulb
Early pre-commercial research
Original carbon-filament bulb from
's shop in Menlo Park
Ebenezer Kinnersley demonstrated heating a wire to incandescence.
Humphry Davy used what he described as "a
battery of immense size",
 consisting of 2,000 cells housed in the basement of the
Royal Institution of Great Britain,
 to create an incandescent light by passing the current through a thin strip of
platinum, chosen because the metal had an extremely high
melting point. It was not bright enough nor did it last long enough to be practical, but it was the precedent behind the efforts of scores of experimenters over the next 75 years.
Over the first three-quarters of the 19th century, many experimenters worked with various combinations of platinum or iridium wires, carbon rods, and evacuated or semi-evacuated enclosures. Many of these devices were demonstrated and some were patented.
James Bowman Lindsay demonstrated a constant electric light at a public meeting in Dundee, Scotland. He stated that he could "read a book at a distance of one and a half feet". However, having perfected the device to his own satisfaction, he turned to the problem of
wireless telegraphy and did not develop the electric light any further. His claims are not well documented, although he is credited in Challoner et al. with being the inventor of the "Incandescent Light Bulb".
In 1838, Belgian lithographer
Marcellin Jobard invented an incandescent light bulb with a vacuum atmosphere using a carbon filament.
In 1840, British scientist
Warren de la Rue enclosed a coiled platinum filament in a
vacuum tube and passed an electric current through it. The design was based on the concept that the high melting point of platinum would allow it to operate at high temperatures and that the evacuated chamber would contain fewer gas molecules to react with the platinum, improving its longevity. Although a workable design, the cost of the platinum made it impractical for commercial use.
In 1841, Frederick de Moleyns of England was granted the first
patent for an incandescent lamp, with a design using platinum wires contained within a vacuum bulb. He also used carbon.
In 1845, American
John W. Starr acquired a patent for his incandescent light bulb involving the use of carbon filaments.
 He died shortly after obtaining the patent, and his invention was never produced commercially. Little else is known about him.
Jean Eugène Robert-Houdin publicly demonstrated incandescent light bulbs on his estate in Blois, France. His light bulbs are on display in the museum of the
Château de Blois.
Moses G. Farmer built an electric incandescent light bulb using a platinum filament.
 He later patented a light bulb which was purchased by Thomas Edison.
In 1872, Russian
Alexander Lodygin invented an incandescent light bulb and obtained a Russian patent in 1874. He used as a burner two carbon rods of diminished section in a glass receiver, hermetically sealed, and filled with nitrogen, electrically arranged so that the current could be passed to the second carbon when the first had been consumed.
 Later he lived in the US, changed his name to Alexander de Lodyguine and applied and obtained patents for incandescent lamps having
 and a bulb using a molybdenum filament was demonstrated at the
world fair of 1900 in Paris.
On 24 July 1874, a Canadian patent was filed by
Henry Woodward and
U.S. Patent 0,181,613) to Thomas Edison in 1879.
Heinrich Göbel in 1893 claimed he had designed the first incandescent light bulb in 1854, with a thin carbonized
bamboo filament of high resistance, platinum lead-in wires in an all-glass envelope, and a high vacuum. Judges of four courts raised doubts about the alleged Göbel anticipation, but there was never a decision in a final hearing due to the expiry date of Edison's patent. A research work published 2007 concluded that the story of the Göbel lamps in the 1850s is a legend.
Dominance of carbon filament and vacuum
Carbon filament lamps, showing darkening of bulb
Joseph Swan (1828–1914) was a British physicist and chemist. In 1850, he began working with carbonized paper filaments in an evacuated glass bulb. By 1860, he was able to demonstrate a working device but the lack of a good vacuum and an adequate supply of electricity resulted in a short lifetime for the bulb and an inefficient source of light. By the mid-1870s better pumps became available, and Swan returned to his experiments.
Historical plaque at
, the first house to be lit by electric lights
With the help of
Charles Stearn, an expert on vacuum pumps, in 1878, Swan developed a method of processing that avoided the early bulb blackening. This received a British Patent in 1880.
 On 18 December 1878, a lamp using a slender carbon rod was shown at a meeting of the
Newcastle Chemical Society, and Swan gave a working demonstration at their meeting on 17 January 1879. It was also shown to 700 who attended a meeting of the
Literary and Philosophical Society of Newcastle upon Tyne on 3 February 1879.
 These lamps used a carbon rod from an arc lamp rather than a slender filament. Thus they had low resistance and required very large conductors to supply the necessary current, so they were not commercially practical, although they did furnish a demonstration of the possibilities of incandescent lighting with relatively high vacuum, a carbon conductor, and platinum lead-in wires. This bulb lasted about 40 hours.
 Swan then turned his attention to producing a better carbon filament and the means of attaching its ends. He devised a method of treating cotton to produce 'parchmentised thread' in the early 1880s and obtained British Patent 4933 that same year.
 From this year he began installing light bulbs in homes and landmarks in England. His house,
Underhill, Low Fell, Gateshead, was the first in the world to be lit by a lightbulb and also the first house in the world to be lit by hydroelectric power. In 1878 the home of
Lord Armstrong at
Cragside was also among the first houses to be lit by electricity. In the early 1880s he had started his company.
 In 1881, the
Savoy Theatre in the
City of Westminster, London was lit by Swan incandescent lightbulbs, which was the first theatre, and the first public building in the world, to be lit entirely by electricity.
 The first street in the world to be lit by an incandescent lightbulb was Mosley Street,
Newcastle upon Tyne,
United Kingdom. It was lit by Joseph Swan's incandescent lamp on 3 February 1879.
Edison carbon filament lamps, early 1880s
Thomas Edison began serious research into developing a practical incandescent lamp in 1878. Edison filed his first patent application for "Improvement In Electric Lights" on 14 October 1878.
 After many experiments, first with
carbon in the early 1880s and then with
platinum and other metals, in the end Edison returned to a carbon filament.
 The first successful test was on 22 October 1879,
 and lasted 13.5 hours. Edison continued to improve this design and by 4 November 1879, filed for a US patent for an electric lamp using "a carbon filament or strip coiled and connected ... to platina contact wires."
 Although the patent described several ways of creating the carbon filament including using "cotton and linen thread, wood splints, papers coiled in various ways,"
 Edison and his team later discovered that a carbonized bamboo filament could last more than 1200 hours.
 In 1880, the
Oregon Railroad and Navigation Company steamer,
Columbia, became the first application for Edison's incandescent electric lamps (it was also the first ship to use a
Albon Man, a New York lawyer, started
Electro-Dynamic Light Company in 1878 to exploit his patents and those of
 Weeks later the United States Electric Lighting Company was organized.
 This company didn't make their first commercial installation of incandescent lamps until the fall of 1880 at the Mercantile Safe Deposit Company in New York City, about six months after the Edison incandescent lamps had been installed on the Columbia.
Hiram S. Maxim was the chief engineer at the United States Electric Lighting Company.
Lewis Latimer, employed at the time by Edison, developed an improved method of heat-treating carbon filaments which reduced breakage and allowed them to be molded into novel shapes, such as the characteristic "M" shape of Maxim filaments. On 17 January 1882, Latimer received a patent for the "Process of Manufacturing Carbons", an improved method for the production of light bulb filaments, which was purchased by the United States Electric Light Company.
 Latimer patented other improvements such as a better way of attaching filaments to their wire supports.
In Britain, the Edison and Swan companies merged into the
Edison and Swan United Electric Company (later known as Ediswan, and ultimately incorporated into
Thorn Lighting Ltd). Edison was initially against this combination, but after Swan
sued him and won, Edison was eventually forced to cooperate, and the merger was made. Eventually, Edison acquired all of Swan's interest in the company. Swan sold his US patent rights to the
Brush Electric Company in June 1882.
United States Patent Office gave a ruling 8 October 1883, that Edison's patents were based on the prior art of
William Sawyer and were invalid. Litigation continued for a number of years. Eventually on 6 October 1889, a judge ruled that Edison's electric light improvement claim for "a filament of carbon of high resistance" was valid.
In 1896 Italian inventor Arturo Malignani (1865–1939) patented an evacuation method for mass production, which allowed obtaining economic bulbs lasting 800 hours. The patent was acquired by Edison in 1898.
In 1897, German physicist and chemist
Walther Nernst developed the
Nernst lamp, a form of incandescent lamp that used a ceramic
globar and did not require enclosure in a vacuum or inert gas.
 Twice as efficient as carbon filament lamps, Nernst lamps were briefly popular until overtaken by lamps using metal filaments.
Revolution of the tungsten filament, inert gas, and the coiled coil
Hanaman (left) and Dr. Just (right), the inventors of the tungsten bulbs
advertising of the
-bulb from 1906. This was the first light bulb that used a filament made from
instead of carbon. The inscription reads: wire lamp with a drawn wire – indestructible
Spectrum of an incandescent lamp at 2200K, showing most of its emission as invisible
On 13 December 1904,
Sándor Just and
Franjo Hanaman were granted a Hungarian patent (No. 34541) for a
tungsten filament lamp that lasted longer and gave brighter light than the carbon filament.
 Tungsten filament lamps were first marketed by the
Tungsram in 1904. This type is often called Tungsram-bulbs in many European countries.
 Filling a bulb with an
inert gas such as
nitrogen slows down the evaporation of the tungsten filament compared to operating it in a vacuum. This allows for greater temperatures and therefore greater
efficacy with less reduction in filament life.
William D. Coolidge developed a method of making "ductile tungsten" from
tungsten which could be made into filaments while working for
General Electric Company. By 1911 General Electric began selling incandescent light bulbs with ductile tungsten wire.
Irving Langmuir found that filling a lamp with
inert gas instead of a vacuum resulted in twice the luminous efficacy and reduction of bulb blackening.
Burnie Lee Benbow was granted a patent for inventing the coiled coil filament.
 In 1921,
Junichi Miura created the first double-coil bulb using a coiled coil tungsten filament while working for
Hakunetsusha (a predecessor of
Toshiba). At the time, machinery to mass-produce coiled coil filaments did not exist. Hakunetsusha developed a method to mass-produce coiled coil filaments by 1936.
Between 1924 and the outbreak of the Second World War, the
Phoebus cartel attempted to fix prices and sales quotas for bulb manufacturers outside of North America.
Marvin Pipkin, an American chemist, patented a process for
frosting the inside of lamp bulbs without weakening them, and in 1947, he patented a process for coating the inside of lamps with
Imre Bródy filled lamps with krypton gas rather than argon, and designed a process to obtain krypton from air. Production of krypton filled lamps based on his invention started at
Ajka in 1937, in a factory co-designed by Polányi and Hungarian-born physicist
By 1964, improvements in efficiency and production of incandescent lamps had reduced the cost of providing a given quantity of light by a factor of thirty, compared with the cost at introduction of Edison's lighting system.
Consumption of incandescent light bulbs grew rapidly in the US. In 1885, an estimated 300,000 general lighting service lamps were sold, all with carbon filaments. When tungsten filaments were introduced, about 50 million lamp sockets existed in the US. In 1914, 88.5 million lamps were used, (only 15% with carbon filaments), and by 1945, annual sales of lamps were 795 million (more than 5 lamps per person per year).