The parish includes the large wooded areas such as Yateley Heath Wood and part of Hazeley Heath. The River Hart flows through the parish northeast of the town. The River Whitewater forms the western parish boundary. The southern boundary now follows the M3 motorway.
Hartley Wintney Methodist church
The town has a typical wide Hampshire main street, lined with local businesses, shops, public houses and a Baptist church. The town has also a Methodist church. The Roman Catholic church of St Thomas More was built in the 1960s. In 2016 a fire destroyed its roof.
The town is known for its numerous antique shops. At the southern end is the green and with thatched duck house. The pond is called Hatton's Pond, after a landlord of the Waggon and Horses public house in about 1870. The red-brick Church of England parish church of St John the Evangelist overlooks the green.
Beyond the green are the Mildmay oak trees. They were planted at the behest of Lady St John Mildmay in response to a call in 1807 by Admiral Collingwood after the Battle of Trafalgar for landowners to plant oaks to provide timber for naval ships. The cricket green, home of the oldest cricket club in Hampshire, is behind the shops, with a second duckpond and Dutch-gabled farmhouse, Causeway Farm, a short distance away through a stand of oaks..
In 1831 the parish (then excluding Elvetham and part of Hartfordbridge) had a population of 1,139. In 2004 the ward had a population of 4,954. The town is twinned with Saint-Savin near Poitiers, France and with Malle in Belgium.
Hartley Row is a former hamlet within Hartley Wintney.