The Government Army was created following the dissolution of the
Czechoslovak Army which occurred after the German occupation of the
Czech lands, and was officially constituted on July 25, 1939 by Government Order No. 216.
 The German decision to permit the organization of a military force under direct control of the protectorate government was due to three factors. First, the complete dissolution of the Czechoslovak Army carried with it a concurrently large increase in the unemployment rate; continued maintenance of at least a fractional military force could mitigate that to some extent. Second, Germany was anxious to legitimize its occupation by demonstrating a certain tolerance for the continuation of Czech institutions. Third, there was an obvious need for some form of personal guard for the State President
The Government Army had an authorized strength of 7,000 men and a period of enlistment of twelve years; at its height it had an actual strength of 6,500 troops organized in twelve battalions.
 Despite the force's diminutive size, it boasted 40 generals.
Government Army regional inspectorate headquarters' shown on a map of the contemporary Czech Republic
State President was commander-in-chief of the Government Army, with operational command vested in an inspector-general who, throughout the period of the army's existence, was Jaroslav Eminger.
 The army was organized into three regional inspectorates with their headquarters at
The Government Army's 1st Battalion was tasked with the protection of the State President, as well as
public duties at the presidential residence of
Lány Castle. Beginning in November 1939, it assumed responsibility for guarding
Prague Castle in concert with German forces, a mission formerly performed by the
Prague Castle Guard of the defunct Czechoslovak Army.
Initially, the bulk of the Government Army consisted of officers and men transferred directly from the former Czechoslovak Army. For political reasons, many of the army's original personnel were gradually dismissed to be replaced by new recruits unconnected with the armed forces of the formerly independent Czechoslovakia. New recruits were limited to Czech males between 18 and 24 years of age, of
Aryan ethnicity, at least 165 centimeters tall, in good health, and free of criminal record. The army's last annual recruitment occurred in 1943.
In May 1945, with the collapse of the protectorate,
de facto control of the Government Army passed to the returned
Czechoslovak government which deactivated the force after first transferring some of its soldiers to the reconstituted
Prior to 1944, Government Army forces were primarily deployed to provide security along railroad lines, to support civil defense, for
public duties assignments, and – during the winter of 1943 to 1944 – in a short-lived effort to capture parachutist drop sites in Bohemia and Moravia.
 In 1943, Minister of Education
Emanuel Moravec advanced a proposal to deploy the army to the
Eastern Front in support of German operations.
 State President Hácha discussed the proposal with SS-Obergruppenführer
Karl Hermann Frank who ultimately decided not to forward it to
The Government Army's only foreign deployment came in May 1944 when the entire army – with the exception of the 1st Battalion – was moved to northern Italy to support German military operations there.
 Responsibilities in Italy were limited to a passive role in the construction of fortifications and field positions.
 While in Italy, approximately 600 of the Czech soldiers deserted to the side of the Italian partisans, due in part to the effects of the propaganda campaign "Operation Sauerkraut" of the United States'
Office of Strategic Services.
On May 5, 1945, the 1st Battalion of the Government Army revolted and joined Czech partisans in the
Battle of Czechoslovak Radio.
 Three days later, a separate force of the army moved to the
Old Town Hall to assist in its defense from German attack.