The western coast of Ginetes, showing the localities of Lomba de Cima and Lomba dos Gagos, along the eastern frontier with
Location of the civil parish of Ginetes in the municipality of Ponta Delgada
|(+351) 292 XXX-XXXX|
|Geographic detail from CAOP (2010) produced by Instituto Geográfico Português (IGP)|
Ginetes is a
At the earliest part of the island's settlement, this region was known as the parish of São Sebastião, based on its patron saint. The region was given the new name owing to its proximity to the Pico dos Genetantes, which was transliterated into Ginetes. Father
The parish church, dedicated to St. Sebastian, was constructed between 1603 and 1605, to substitute an older temple that existed since early settlement. The religious community also constructed the Church of Jesus, Mary and Jesus in the locality of Várzeam erected in 1702 (and, later, the hermitage of Nossa Senhora da Fátima, built along the regional roadway, and concluded in September 1936).
It is suggested that the historic Casa do Monte (House of the Hill), located within Ginetes, was the first location where the autonomic flag was first raised over the territory of the Azores, in 1897.