In January 1937 German Freedom Radio was established by the
Communist Party of Germany (KPD). Its transmitter and studios were located in
Madrid, but editorial direction was largely determined by the KPD leadership based in
Ernest Hemingway and
Heinrich Mann both are recorded as having written scripts for German Freedom Radio.
In March 1939, German Freedom Radio was forced off-air as Madrid fell to the
Spanish Nationalist forces.
 It resurfaced in Moscow, signing on-air on September 10, 1941 as German People's Radio and using the slogan "the Voice of the International Peace Movement".