Geesthacht (German: [ɡeːstˈhaxt] (listen)) is the largest city in the District of the Duchy of Lauenburg (Herzogtum Lauenburg) in Schleswig-Holstein in Northern Germany, 34 km southeast of Hamburg on the right bank of the river Elbe.
- Around 800: A church is documented.
- 1216: First documentary mention of the settlement as Hachede, then a part of Saxony.
- A change in the course of the Elbe cuts the settlement into two: Geesthacht and Marschacht (in today's Lower Saxony).
- 1296: Geesthacht becomes part of the Durchy of Saxe-Lauenburg, partitioned from Saxony
- 1370: Duke Eric III pawns Geesthacht - as part of the Herrschaft of Bergedorf - to Lübeck
- 1401: Duke Eric IV retakes the pawned area with force
- 1420: Geesthacht is ceded as part of a condominium to the Hanseatic cities Hamburg and Lübeck by the
Peace of Perleberg.
- 1811: Geesthacht is annexed to France as part of the Bouches de l'Elbe département
- 1813: The condominium is restored
- 1865/66: The Swedish chemist Alfred Nobel establishes a glycerin factory in Geesthacht (on Krümmel hill) and invents dynamite. Krümmel becomes the first dynamite factory in the world.
- 1868: Lübeck sells its share in the condominium to Hamburg, Geesthacht becomes a part Hamburg's state territory
- 1906: Opening of the
- 1918–1933: Geesthacht is a hotbed of radical leftist parties (USPD, KPD and SAPD) and acquires the nickname Little Moscow.
- 1924: Granted town privileges by the Hamburg state order of 2 January.
- 1928: Destruction of the historical town centre by a fire.
- 1937: In the context of the territorial reorganization of the State of Hamburg (Greater Hamburg Act), Geesthacht is transferred to the Prussian province of Schleswig-Holstein, there becoming part of the district (Kreis) of Duchy of Lauenburg.
- 1953: Suspension of passenger service on the
Bergedorf-Geesthachter Eisenbahn (a railway line).