Fredericksburg is located east of the center of Gillespie County at 30°16′27″N 98°52′19″W / 30°16′27″N 98°52′19″W / 30.274058; -98.871822 (30.274058, −98.871822). It is 70 miles (110 km) north of San Antonio and 78 miles (126 km) west of Austin.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 8.6 square miles (22.3 km2), of which 8.6 square miles (22.2 km2) are land and 0.05 square miles (0.12 km2), or 0.55%, are water.
A couple strolling down from the top of Enchanted Rock
Enchanted Rock is a geographical landmark 17 miles (27 km) north of Fredericksburg in Llano County. The rock is a huge, pink granite exfoliation dome that rises 425 feet (130 m) above the surrounding land, has a summit elevation of 1,825 feet (556 m) above sea level, and covers 640 acres (260 ha). It is one of the largest batholiths (underground rock formation uncovered by erosion) in the United States, and was declared a National Natural Landmark in 1970. In 1994, the State of Texas opened it as Enchanted Rock State Natural Area after adding facilities. The same year, Enchanted Rock was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Balanced Rock was a famous local landmark that perched atop Bear Mountain 10 mi (16 km) north of Fredericksburg. The natural wonder stone pillar, about the size of a small elephant, precariously balanced on its small tip. It fell prey to vandals who dynamited it off its base in April 1986.
The first known record of Cross Mountain (elevation 1,915 feet (584 m)) was in 1847 by Dr. Ferdinand von Roemer. Native Americans used the location to signal each other about intrusions into their territory. The area was part of settler Dr. John Christian Durst's 10-acre (4.0 ha) allotment. Durst found a timber cross on the mountain, indicating that Spanish missionaries had once used the site. Durst named the place "Kreuzberg" or Cross Mountain. In 1849, Father George Menzel erected a new cross. In 1946, St. Mary's Catholic Church erected a metal and concrete cross. The mountain has been used both for the Easter Fires pageant and for Easter sunrise services. It was designated a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark 1976.