Franz Liszt Academy of Music
Liszt Ferenc Zeneművészeti Egyetem
The New Academy, facing Ferenc Liszt Square
The Liszt Ferenc Academy of Music (
The Academy was originally called the "Royal National Hungarian Academy of Music" and it was also called "College of Music" from 1919-1925. It was then named after its founder
Replacing "the old Music Academy", the Academy moved into a building erected in 1907 at the corner of Király Street and Ferenc Liszt Square. It serves as a centre for higher education, music training, and concert hall. The
Other facilities used by the Academy are the Budapest Teacher Training College, located in the former National Music School on Semmelweis Street, a secondary school (Béla Bartók Secondary Grammar and Technical School of Music), and a student dormitory.
Ever since its foundation, the Academy has been the most prestigious music university operating in Hungary. A major development in its history was the recent establishment of a new, independent Folk Music Faculty. The Franz Liszt Academy of Music is as much a living monument to Hungary's continued musical life, as it is to the country's musical past. Its president (rector) is András Batta.