There are currently six awards:
- the Golden Ball (currently commercially termed "Adidas Golden Ball") for best overall player;
- the Golden Boot (formerly known as the Golden Shoe, commercially termed "Adidas Golden Shoe") was first awarded in 1991 for top goal scorer;
- the Golden Glove Award for best goalkeeper (first awarded in 2011);
- the Best Young Player Award (currently commercially termed "Hyundai Best Young Player Award") for the best player under 21 years of age at the start of the calendar year (first awarded in 2011);
- the FIFA Fair Play Award for the team with the best record of fair play (first awarded in 1991);
- An All-Star Team (at one time commercially termed "Mastercard All-Star Team") comprising the best players of the tournament has been announced for each tournament since 1999.
Additionally, there are two awards voted on by fans after the conclusion of the tournament:
- the Goal of the Tournament for the fans' best goal scored during the tournament (first awarded in 2007);
- the Dream Team for the fans' best manager and eleven-player line-up of the tournament (first awarded in 2015).
One award is now defunct:
- the Most Entertaining Team award for the team that entertained the public the most during the World Cup final tournament, as determined by a poll of the general public, was presented in 2003 and 2007.