| • ||Carmelo Vidalín|
|• Ruling party|
|• Total||11,643 km2 (4,495 sq mi)|
|• Density||4.9/km2 (13/sq mi)|
Durazno is a
In 1827, while the territory was under Portuguese dominion, the Portuguese asked their ally, General Fructuoso Rivera to establish a military body of cavalry and artillery in the area of Paso del Durazno on the banks of Río Yi. For this, the town of San Pedro del Durazno was founded, named after the regent of Brazil. In 1828 the department named "Entre Ríos Yí y Negro" was formed, which was soon after renamed to Durazno. When the First Constitution of Uruguay was signed in 1830, Durazno was one of the nine original departments of the Republic.