Duluth Public Library (historic)
Duluth Public Library
The former Duluth Public Library viewed from the southeast
|Location||101 West Second Street|
|Added to NRHP||May 5, 1978|
The Duluth Public Library is a former
In 1899, through the efforts of the Duluth Evening Herald,
Construction began in 1901, with the cost estimated at $68,900. The cornerstone was laid on July 4, 1901, as part of the Independence Day celebrations. By the end of construction the library cost slightly more than the $75,000 donated by Carnegie. Expenses for the property and furniture were covered separately by the city. The library opened on April 19, 1902.
In 1927, an addition was built at the rear of the library to house additional book stacks and other facilities.
The library was nominated for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places for its significance in architecture and education; it was listed on May 5, 1978. The Carnegie library served as