Dr. Georgi Stranski University Hospital

Dr. Georgi Stranski University Hospital
Hospital in Pleven.jpg
View from Georgi Kochev Blvd.
Geography
LocationPleven, Pleven Province, Bulgaria
Coordinates43°24′58″N 24°37′40″E / 43°24′58″N 24°37′40″E / 43.41611; 24.62778
ListsHospitals in Bulgaria

Dr. Georgi Stranski University Hospital is a major hospital located in Pleven, Bulgaria. It is one of the oldest in the country, as well as the largest in northern Bulgaria.[1]

History

The hospital was established in 1865, before the Liberation of Bulgaria from Ottoman rule, as a waqf treatment center under the personal orders of Midhat Pasa.[2] Its first location was on the grounds of the local imaret, and its staff at the time consisted only of a foreign military doctor and two servants. He died in 1869, and was replaced by Dr. Robert Geiser, a Swiss national who was in charge of the hospital until 1877.[2]

Georgi Stranski, the hospital's first manager

During the Russo-Turkish War of 1877–1878, numerous Russian surgeons were active in the area during the Siege of Plevna. Nikolay Pirogov was among them, and Bulgarian physician Georgi Stranski, a close friend of revolutionary Hristo Botev, was also present. Shortly after the war—in 1879—Stranski became the hospital's first manager, albeit only for a year. The hospital was enlarged and moved to its current location in 1896.[2]

Other Languages