Diessbach bei Büren
|Diessbach bei Büren|
| • ||Urs Zurbuchen|
|• Total||6.33 km2 (2.44 sq mi)|
|Elevation||464 m (1,522 ft)|
|Population (Dec 2016)|
|• Density||160/km2 (410/sq mi)|
The earliest traces of human settlement come from the
The town first appeared in historical sources in 1244, under the name Diespah. At that time, the settlement consisted of a few farms and the church, which can be traced back to the seventh century and was also described in 1244.
As part of the Strassberg holdings, Diessbach became part of Bern in 1393 along with
The current village church was built in 1858-59. However, this building had five predecessor buildings stretching back to the 7th or 8th century. It was first mentioned as St. John's Church in 1244.
Beginning in the early 19th century, the farmers in Diessbach switched to raising dairy cows. By 1830 there were two large dairies in the municipality. There are a few small factories which produce watch parts and wood or metal buildings. Even though there is no rail station in the municipality, many workers commute to