This article needs additional citations for
|Ward of Cripplegate|
|Population||2,782 (2011 Census. Ward)|
Cripplegate was a
The ward of Cripplegate straddles the former line of the Wall and the old gate, and remains divided into "Within" and "Without" parts, with a
In 1068, a burial site in Cripplegate, where Jewin Street now stands, was the only place in England where Jews were permitted to be buried. Those living elsewhere in the country were forced, at great expense and inconvenience, to bring their dead there.
During the Second World War the Cripplegate area, a centre of the rag trade, was virtually destroyed and by 1951 the resident population of the City stood at only 5,324, of whom 48 lived in Cripplegate. Discussions began in 1952 about the future of the area, and the decision to build new residential properties was taken by the Court of Common Council on 19 September 1957. The area was reopened as the
Following a boundary change in 1994, the