this article is about the original comiskey park. for the current stadium that carried this name, see guaranteed rate field.
former baseball park
"the baseball palace of the world" old comiskey park white sox park
comiskey park in 1990, its final season
white sox park (1910–1912, 1962–1975)
324 west 35th street chicago, illinois
41°49′55″n87°38′02″w / 41°49′55″n87°38′02″w / 41.832; -87.634 center field – 420 ft (128 m) backstop – 98 ft (30 m) (1986) foul lines – 347 ft (106 m) power alleys – 382 ft (116 m) center field – 409 ft (125 m) backstop – 86 ft (26 m)
natural grass astroturf infield (1969–1975)
july 1, 1910
september 30, 1990
us$750,000 ($20.6 million in 2019 )
zachary taylor davis osborn engineering
george w. jackson
chicago white sox (mlb) (1910–1990) chicago cardinals (nfl) (1922–1925, 1929–1930, 1940–1958) chicago bulls (afl) (1926) chicago american giants (nal) (1941–1952) card-pitt (nfl) (1944) chicago mustangs (nasl) (1967–1968) chicago sting (nasl) (1980–1985)
comiskey park was a baseball park in chicago, illinois, located in the bridgeport neighborhood on the near-southwest side of the city. the stadium served as the home of the chicago white sox of the american league from 1910 through 1990. built by white sox owner charles comiskey and designed by zachary taylor davis, comiskey park hosted four world series and more than 6,000 major league baseball games. also, in one of the most famous boxing matches in history, the field was the site of the 1937 heavyweight title match in which joe louis defeated then champion james j. braddock in eight rounds that launched louis' unprecedented 11-plus year run as the heavyweight champion of the world.
the chicago cardinals of the national football league also called comiskey park home when they weren't playing at normal park, soldier field or wrigley field. they won the 1947 nfl championship game over the philadelphia eagles at comiskey park. much less popular than the bears, the cardinals had their last season at comiskey in 1958, and they left for st. louis in march 1960. the chicago american giants of the negro american league called comiskey park home from 1941–1950. the park was also home to chicago mustangs and chicago sting of the nasl, playing host to the final edition of the original soccer bowl.
adjacent to the south (across 35th street), a new ballpark opened in 1991, and comiskey park was demolished the same year. originally also called comiskey park, it was renamed u.s. cellular field in 2003 and guaranteed rate field in 2016.
Adjacent to the south (across 35th Street), a new ballpark opened in 1991, and Comiskey Park was demolished the same year. Originally also called Comiskey Park, it was renamed U.S. Cellular Field in 2003 and Guaranteed Rate Field in 2016.