The rear of the Bristol City Hall from Cabot Tower
City Hall is a grade II*
listed building. The concrete frame is clad with very wide, thin bricks, with
Portland stone dressings and a leaded hipped roof in a
Neo-Georgian style. The steep and high roof with
unicorns to the corners of the end blocks.
foundation stone for the Council House was laid in 1938 and the building was opened by
The Queen in 1956. The ceremonial entrance overlooks the
moat and leads into the reception hall which is lined with local
Doulting stone and paved with black and white Italian
marble. It also features a blue and gold wall clock, encircled by the signs of the
zodiac and equipped with its own wind indicator. The Conference Hall is the largest room in the building. The names of all Mayors and Lord Mayors of Bristol since 1216 are cut into the stone walls. The walls of the Lord Mayor's Reception Room are panelled in English
Walnut and there is a colourful frieze displaying the
heraldry of the Bristol trade guilds, and, in gold leaf, the names of famous Bristolians.
The building was formerly known as the Council House, but was renamed by
Mayor of Bristol, on his first day in office to City Hall, on 19 November 2012.