This article includes a
|Town or city|
|Design and construction|
Charlottenhof Palace or Charlottenhof Manor (
The park area with its various buildings can be traced back to the 18th century. After it had changed hands several times, King
The Crown Prince charged the architect
With designs he created himself the artistically inclined Crown Prince participated in the planning process for the palace and surrounding park. He referred to this summer residence as "Siam", which at the time was considered "the Land of the Free", and to himself jokingly as the "Siam House architect".
Officially the palace and park were named "Charlottenhof" in honor of Maria Charlotte von Gentzkow who had owned the property from 1790 to 1794.
The interior design of the ten rooms is still largely intact. The furniture, for the most part designed by Schinkel himself, is remarkable for its simple and cultivated style.
The palace's most distinctive room is the tent room fashioned after a Roman Caesar's tent. In the tent room both ceiling and walls are decorated with blue and white striped wallpaper and the window treatments and bed tent and coverings continue that design. The room was used as a bedroom for companions and guests.
The blue and white theme is continued throughout on the palace's window shutters, it seems, in deference to the
Between 1835 and 1840 the explorer and world traveler