This article needs additional citations for
Colombia Stock Exchange Building
Location of the locality in the city of Bogotá
Location of the locality in the Capital District of Bogotá
|• Total||38.15 km2 (14.73 sq mi)|
|Elevation||2,600 m (8,500 ft)|
|• Density||4,400/km2 (11,000/sq mi)|
|Colombia Standard Time (|
Chapinero is a locality (district) of
Chapinero was part of the thoroughfare connecting Bogotá and the northern part of the country. The area was settled in 1812 by workers in the various industries that provided Bogotá with its day-to-day necessities. The name Chapinero comes from the shoemakers of bespoke shoes for chapines, the local expression for people suffering of
Toward the end of the 19th century, the area was further settled with mansions and country estates. As the urbanized city expanded, the area was integrated accordingly. Mule-pulled trams were extended northward in 1875, followed by electric tracks in 1910.
When the Special District of Bogotá was formed in 1955, the area was made into a locality. At that time the El Lago, Chicó, and Cataluña neighborhoods were added into the locality. The physical boundaries remained the same under the reorganization into the Capital District that took place in 1991.