This article needs additional citations for
"Little Slice of Paradise"
Cayucos viewed from the town pier
|• Total||3.477 sq mi (9.006 km2)|
|• Land||3.100 sq mi (8.029 km2)|
|• Water||0.377 sq mi (0.977 km2) 10.85%|
|Elevation||75 ft (23 m)|
|• Density||750/sq mi (290/km2)|
| • Summer (||PDT (|
Cayucos is a
Prehistorically the local area was inhabited by the
The first European land exploration of
Cayucos is the Hispanicization of a Chumash word for "kayak," or "canoe," used by the Chumash people to fish in the bay, particularly in the rich kelp beds just north of the current Cayucos pier. The town took its name from the old
In 1867, Captain James Cass settled on 320 acres (1.29 km2) of this land, and founded the town of Cayucos. Cass began developing the area with his business partner, Captain Ingals. Cass built a 900-foot pier and a warehouse to house cargo bound for San Francisco or Los Angeles. Eventually Cass returned to life on the sea and in 1875 real estate developer C.H. Phillips subdivided and sold the remaining portions of Rancho Moro y Cayucos. The original pier was swept away by a storm but has since been rebuilt.
On December 7, 1987,