Castle Donington

Castle Donington
St Edward King & Martyr, Castle Donington.JPG
Parish church of St Edward, King and Martyr
Castle Donington is located in Leicestershire
Castle Donington
Castle Donington
Castle Donington shown within Leicestershire
Population6,416 (2011 census)[1]
SK446272
District
Shire county
Region
CountryEngland
Sovereign stateUnited Kingdom
Post townDerby
Postcode districtDE74
Dialling code01332
PoliceLeicestershire
FireLeicestershire
AmbulanceEast Midlands
EU ParliamentEast Midlands
UK Parliament
List of places
UK
England
Leicestershire
52°50′40″N 1°20′16″W / 52°50′40″N 1°20′16″W / 52.8444; -1.3377

Castle Donington is a small market town and civil parish in Leicestershire, England, on the edge of the National Forest close to East Midlands Airport.

History

King's Mill, the nearby crossing on the River Trent, is mentioned in a charter issued by Æthelred the Unready in 1009 regarding the boundaries of Weston-on-Trent.[2] Dunintune or Dunitone is mentioned twice in the Domesday Book of 1086 as having land belonging to Countess Ælfgifu and land assigned to Earl Hugh.[3] It is called Castoldonyngtoin in a duchy of Lancaster warrant of 1484.

In 1278, King Edward I granted a charter for a weekly market and an annual Wakes Fair. The Fair continues in Borough Street for three days each October.

Lace-making was an important industry up until the 1850s, when a sharp decline in the population is recorded. The population did not recover to the same level until a century later, when in 1950 over 3,000 people are recorded as living in the village.

Bondgate, Borough Street and Clapgun Street formed the nucleus of the historic village, with the Castle formerly standing at the eastern end of Borough Street on Castle Hill. It was abandoned and its stone used to build Donington Hall within Donington Park.

The early 1960s local councils from Derby, Nottingham and Leicester were seeking a suitable site to build an airport for the region. The former RAF Castle Donington, to the south of the village, was chosen and land purchased in the parishes of Kegworth, Hemington and Lockington to form an enclosed site now forming East Midlands Airport. The airport opened in 1965 and is now the tenth largest airport in the UK, the second largest in terms of freight and cargo. The airport site is now an important economic center, and a major employer in the area.

Power station, demolished in 1996

Castle Donington Power Station was built in 1958 as one of the largest coal-fired power stations in Europe. It was closed in September 1994 and demolished in 1996.

Other Languages