Written references to Cana
Cana is very positively located in Shepherd's Historical Atlas
, 1923: modern scholars are less sure.
Among Christians and other students of the New Testament, Cana is best known as the place where, according to the Fourth Gospel, Jesus performed "the first of his signs", his first public John 2:1–11) when the wine provided by the bridegroom had run out. Although none of the synoptic gospels record the event, mainstream Christian tradition holds that this is the first public miracle of Jesus.
The other biblical references to Cana are also in John: John 4:46, which mentions that Jesus is visiting Cana when he is asked to heal the son of a royal official at John 21:2, where it is mentioned that Nathanael (sometimes identified with the Bartholomew included in the synoptic gospels' lists of apostles) comes from Cana. The 17:9) named Cana – neither is likely to be the Cana of Galilee.
In secular history, the annals of Assyrian king Tiglath-Pileser III, who conquered the Galilee in a 733 BC campaign, contain a badly preserved list of cities  which had been thought to mention a certain Kana. It relates 650 captives were taken there. However, a revised transliteration revealed the one well-preserved syllable to be Ku, not Ka.
Flavius Josephus mentions more than one place named Cana; in the context of the Galilee there are two mentions in his Life: one is a place on the road from Iulias, and the other is a place where he resided, about a day's walk from Tiberias.