This article needs additional citations for
|Municipality of Bulakan|
Bulakan Municipal Hall
Map of Bulacan with Bulakan highlighted
|14 (see Barangays)|
| • ||Patrick Neil F. Meneses|
| • ||Alberto G. Bituin|
|• Electorate||43,867 voters (|
|• Total||72.90 km2 (28.15 sq mi)|
|Elevation||7 m (23 ft)|
|Highest elevation||30 m (100 ft)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||1,100/km2 (2,700/sq mi)|
|1st municipal income class|
|• Revenue (2017)|| |
|• Expenses (2017)|| |
|• Total Assets (2017)|| |
|• Consumption||23.71 million kWh (2003)|
Bulakan, officially the Municipality of Bulakan, (
It is 35 kilometres (22 mi) north of
Bulakan, which is one of the oldest towns in the Philippines, became the encomienda or capital of the
With regards to whether to use the letters "c" or "k" to refer to the municipality of Bulakan, the New Provincial Administrative Code of Bulacan (Ordinance no. C-004) of 2007 states on Chapter 2, Section 15 that the word "Bulakan" stands for the municipality and first capital of the province while "Bulacan" refers to the province itself.
The name "Bulakan" is derived from the Tagalog word "bulak", which means "cotton". The town was named Bulacan due to the abundance of cotton plants growing in the region.
The Augustinians founded Bulakan as one of the visitas of Convento de Tondo in 1575 under its minister Fray Alonzo Alvarado, OSA. In 1578 it became a town Parish and Convent dedicated it under the patronage of Nuestra Señora de la Asunción with Caluya (now
In a census of June 1591, the
In the heart of the town stands the centuries-old adobe church of Our Lady of the Assumption (Nuestra Señora de la Asunción). In front of the church stands the municipal hall and a park named "Plaza del Pilar", which is dedicated to Revolutionary General
After 400 long years, changes have been made to the old barrios that consist the town. Bagio became part of Bagumbayan in 1731, Tibig exist in 1735, Dapdap was renamed Sta. Ana in 1741, Nagdasig become part of Tab-Ang in 1744 and now San Francisco, Parian was renamed Sta. Inez in 1765, Bulacan (Camino Real), Daan Estacion, Paniqui and Calungusan was created into one barrio and was named San Jose, Barrio Pitpitan occupied Acsajo, Cupang was joined to Maysantor now Maysantol, Banban became Bangbang and now Bambang, Perez exists as separate barrio of Taliktik (now Taliptip), and with the same old name of barrios San Nicolas, Matungao and Balubad.
The early Bulaqueños, the residents of Bulakan, were engaged in farming, fishing and handicrafts, especially weaving.
The town of Bulakan, being the first capital of the province, gave the name to the province as customary to the other provinces of the early Philippines (like
Bulakan was also the scene of battle between the Spaniards led by Simón de Anda y Salazar and the British led by Captain Slay during the short
A huge group of about 8,000 Filipino guerillas led by Spanish Jose Pedro de Busto made a nine long days battle in front of the church up to the foot bridge against Captain Slay. They made Captain Slay to retreat to Manila. On this fight, Bulaqueños have shown for the first time an extraordinary martyrdom. The British attempt of conquering the rest of the country was gone astray because of the marvelous fight made by Bulakeños.[
The Church of Nuestra Señora de la Asuncion is the birthplace of Flores de Mayo, a feast for the Virgin Mary, held throughout the Philippines in the month of May. It is also the birthplace of the traditional song Dalit, a poetic chant for the patrons of a certain barrio or town. For centuries, the Church of the Our Lady of the Assumption served as the bastion of the Catholic faith all over the province. It served as the central church: a cathedral-like church serving as a primus inter pares among the Poblacion churches of Bulakan. After the erection of the